CREATIVE NONFICTION APPLICATIONWe are looking for serious, reliable, and disciplined creative nonfiction writers with a body of work. We are seeking writers with a firm writing foundation, versed in workshop dynamics, and who are able to give constructive feedback.
Please do not submit an application if you are not serious about improving your writing and are unable to commit the time to an intensive twelve-week writing workshop. Please check your availability prior to submitting an application. If interested in applying for a seat in our workshop, please read the following information before contacting us.
In applying to this genre workshop, applicants understand that it is not an instructor-led writing class for learning craft. Our workshops are designed for a final or next to final polish of advanced-drafts of creative nonfiction (memoir, essays, lifestyle and culture articles) prior to submitting to contests, magazines, anthologies, and small and large publishers.
If interested in applying for membership, please read the info below prior to contacting us.
The two-part application consists of a creative nonfiction writing sample (fifteen page minimum, twenty page maximum) which represents your best work in our group's format (Courier New, 12pt, double-spaced, 1" margins on all four sides, continuous line numbers, headers with page name/title/page number). To see what this looks like, click here.
Interested applicants must have completed at least (1)full advanced-draft unpublished mempoir manuscript , and essayists/columnists must have completed at least (5) advanced-draft, unpublished personal essays or feature articles to qualify for the workshop.
The second component is answers to the following short essay questions:
1. Who are you? Please provide a personal and/or professional biography, including age, and tell us about your creative writing background.
2. What are your professional goals as a writer?
3. Have you been a member of a writing group before? If so, list elements that worked and which areas that could have been improved?
4. What are your realistic expectations in applying to a writer's workshop?
5. How would you handle a harsh critique?
6. Does your current schedule include time to commit to a weekly workshop for a period of nine or twelve weeks?
7. Please list several writers (women and men from diverse cultures) whose work has been important to you as a reader and your growth as a writer.
We appreciate your interest and application. Potential membership happens in three stages: application/writing sample, a two-way virtual personal interview with the moderator, and an audit session with current workshop members. We apologize in advance for not being able to respond to all applicants.
*Morningside Writers Workshops are $300 per nine-week session, discounted until the end of the pandemic. The regular workshop session is twelve weeks and $400. The Fall 2023 workshop session is September 20th - November 15th, 2023 (application deadline is midnight on 09/06/23). We use a non-disclosure agreement and membership bylaws.
Workshops for Publishing Success! ™